Monday, August 27, 2007

Fresh Berry Dessert Bites

I love the glossy little recipe magazines at the grocery check out. If I'm not in a hurry, I don't mind a slow line if I can preview a new, seasonal edition. Tonight I made a dessert from the latest member of my little recipe magazine collection. Leah gave me the Summer Fun Recipes from Pillsbury before she moved. The fresh berry dessert bites received mixed reviews: Keith said they were," awesome but really rich." The girls liked the shortbread like crust and the berries "but not with the frosting part." I thought they were very tasty but too rich for an everyday type of treat. Judge for yourself! Let me know what you think.


Crust


2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour


2/3 cup of sugar


1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel


1/4 teaspoon salt


1 cup butter cut into tablespoon-size pieces


Topping


1 package (8oz) cream cheese, softened


2 tablespoons packed brown sugar


1 container (6oz) lemon yogurt


1 teaspoon grated lemon peel


Raspberries, blueberries, and or blackberries for the top


Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 15x10x1 pan (I used 13x9x1 and it was too thick)


In a large bowl, mix all crust ingredients except butter. Using pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture looks like fine crumbs; press evenly in pan


Bake 18 to 21 min or until edges are light golden. Cool completely, about 45 min.


In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and brown sugar with an electric mixer on low until blended. Add yougurt and lemon peel; beat until blended. Spread mixture over crust. Refrigerate at least one hour but not more than 24. Cut into 10 rows by 4 rows. Arrange fruit as desired. Store in refrigerator.


No change for high altitude


110 calories per bar with 7 grams of fat.


carb choice = 1


Exchanges= 1/2 starch. 1 1/2 fat


No comments: