Friday, January 18, 2008

As much sense as a goose

We see a lot of critters where we live. This guy was just out cruising around behind our back fence last March. I love to watch the geese fly in their perfect V- formation. They honk back and forth to one another. I always feel calm and happy when I hear or see them.

I was listening to a sermon on the radio today while driving home. I'm sorry I don't recall the pastor's name. The title was "If we had as much sense as a goose." I thought that sounded kind of funny. It didn't take long to understand where he was going with his point.

The pastor gave a few facts about geese and the connection to us helping each other. First, geese fly in the V formation to aid one another in flying. The pastor said a goose has 75% more flying power in a group than if flying on its own. They help lift one another with air from the wing flapping. A goose gets the power from the goose directly in front of it. If we work together for the good of God, we are more useful than working alone.
Second, when the lead goose gets tired, all the geese in the group rotate. We can help each other by taking on a bit more so someone else can re energize.
Third, the geese honk at each other to encourage. We can use our 'honking' to uplift and not discourage.
Finally, when one goose gets sick, two others stay with it until it is better or until it dies. We should care for one another at all times.
Our theme at church this year is Strengthen thy Brethren. I am thankful for the reminder God gave me today in that radio broadcast. I think the geese have a good thing going :)

But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren. - Luke 22:32

2 comments:

Amy said...

What a neat sermon, I like the kinds that relate to everyday things/events. Thanks for sharing. Amy :)

Leah said...

I really like that story. We use it alot at WW :P