Monday, October 22, 2007

Via Mia


Mia's 2ND grade glass is learning Latin this year. It is a pilot program of sorts. If it goes well, they will bring it to the upper grades next year. I was excited about this because I have always been regretful that my two years of high school Spanish did not make a Spanish speaker out of me. I can understand some dialog but no way I could write or speak it. Some development theories suggest that it is easier for children to learn a second language before the age of 12. I know of many adults who have learned a foreign language . The idea is that it may be easier, the younger a child is exposed. I was very excited about Mia learning Latin. Grandma says it is a dead language. That may be true but 35% of the English language is derived from Latin.




This magazine was sitting on my project table. Mia came in to visit me while I was working at the computer. A very excited, "You are kidding me!" came out of her mouth. I turned around to see what was going on. She asked me where I got my Via magazine. I asked her why she was so excited. She asked me why I had a Latin magazine. I asked her what via means. She said, "road, via means road." I explained to her that the roadside service/auto insurance co, AAA, sends us this cool magazine. She asked me if she could have the magazine to look at. I told her sure. I haven't seen it since.

6 comments:

Leah said...

How neat! I love the new pic of her. Tell both girls we miss them and I just prayed for them this morning. *sniff,sniff* I sorry Hayden is not learning Latin.

Katrina said...

Well I know a place he could come back and learn Latin :)
BTW, Mia was out on the balcony because a princess belongs on the balcony. I wanted to take her picture inside and she directed me out to her balcony hehe!

We miss you so much. It has been decided by most of the ladies who helped with the conference that you need to get your self right back here right now. No one realized how much work you took on and we never heard about it. Love you!

Katrina

Leah said...

do you see how early I was up!!!! LOL! That is very kind of you to say, but it's not work if you enjoy it.

Katrina said...

Why in the world were you up when you should be cozy? You know that I wish I were a morning person but I am not. I hope you get to bed early tonight :)

Love,
Katrina

Leah said...

Hehe, it was 6:51 am my time! I just thought it was funny! OF COURSE I wasn't up THAT early! :P

Anonymous said...

k, i was seriously wondering WHY you were up at 3AM!! nut. anyways, yes, next year i'm flying you in for conference!!! it was fun and all, but you're so much better at it!!!! :)