Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Camp highlights

This dragonfly friend landed on my finger and stayed long enough for me to get my camera with my other hand and snap a photo. Actually, it didn't leave on its own, I had to shake it off ! And yes, a manicure was in order as soon as I got home. That dirt meant we were having a good time :)

Mia got the hang of archery after her first lesson.


Sweet friends on the way to the cabin.

Target practice was a lot of fun.



She decided that sitting and shooting was easier.

Camp was a wonderful time filled with lots of activity, games, and preaching. Mia and I agree that tug of war was our very favorite game. I also really enjoyed playing kick ball. Haven't played that since elementary school I am sure. I was up every morning no later than 6 am to ensure time for a shower before breakfast. The girls were all up at about 7 am. Lights were to be out by 10 pm but it was closer to 11 pm. It was during this last hour that the giggling would stop and the praying would start. It was at this late hour that some would feel safe to share the decisions they had made about salvation. This is when we shared our favorite thing about the day. We praised the girls for doing their very best when they wanted to quit (Bible memory, sitting still during preaching, etc. ). It was at this hour when I was the most exhausted that I was also the most blessed.

I was so excited to be able to be the counselor to my youngest daughter and two other sweet girls from our church. I expected to have an experience that would bring me closer to these three girls, to be an example to them and to learn from others. God gave me all that and more. Our small group was able to share our cabin with 11 girls (plus one wonderful counselor, Mrs. T) we had never met. These girls were not regular church attenders, many were from blended and broken homes. All just wanted to be loved. God put us all together to help each other. They needed to have good examples. They needed love and attention. They needed to be held to a higher standard. They needed to have fun and they needed to hear the gospel.

I needed to be reminded that the sheltered life that my children live is not the reality for so many children. That the wonderful church that I belong to should never be taken for granted, and that a person's salvation is the most important thing ever.

Six girls from our cabin accepted Christ as their Saviour. A total of 15 campers were saved. To God be the glory!


2 comments:

Kellie said...

That is awesome that so many girls accepted Christ as Savior!! Wonderful blessings!

Leah said...

That is wonderful to hear!!! Camp is such a great time, exhausting but wonderful. I love and miss you all so much.