Monday, September 7, 2009

Summer is over...



and the last project complete. I have never been afraid to paint furniture. Keith knows me well enough that he brought this bench home on his own. It was piece left behind in a remodel and it was free for the taking. Solid wood, painted brown with chunky knobs. Not for me. We let it sit on our porch and debated between painting it black or white or a fun trendy color. Keith and I have similar taste and trendy was out right away. White was too cottage even though I like cottage. Black it is! Keith got busy with the sanding at the beginning of summer. I was motivated and got the first coat of black on right away. It took me three hours! All the corners and slats were tedious with care taken to have no drips. Summer moved forward and the project sat. I usually can't wait to have something finished but I was dreading the time consuming second coat. I skipped a primer coat to keep the cost down, I ended up paying for it with my time. I kept an eye open for new knobs but wasn't sure what I was looking for. I found the checkerboard knobs at Anthro and knew they were the ones. The pillow was a find in SF too. Having the new accessories was all the motivation I needed. Today was the perfect day. Four hours of uninterrupted painting seemed like forever. But it is DONE. I can say I don't want any more makeover furniture for a while. Proof being I passed up a beautiful dresser, perfect in size and price at an estate sale on Sat. I did not take a before picture, it was just plain dirt brown. Bench= free. Paint= $7/quart and I only used half, knobs were a splurge @$24, pillow doesn't count because I can use it anywhere. Right? Right!

6 comments:

Kellie said...

I LOVE THE BENCH!!! How beautiful, Katrina!! What a treasure... love it!

Leah said...

I love it!!!! It's so "YOU".

Kellie said...

Katrina... do you mind sharing your email with me? If so, let Amy know and she can email it to me or either give you mine. I just didn't want to post it here. I have another CD you would probably enjoy if you don't already have it and wanted to tell you about it. :)

Amy said...

Beautiful! :)

Anonymous said...

Aw, I love it!! Where do you have it?

Anna said...

How fun! You are inspiring me to finally tackle my hutch.