Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Joy

It is in the everyday. A kind word or a passing smile. Some of my most joyful moments happen on ordinary days. A tiny note left on my pillow, looking at pictures, watching the girls play. Those same ordinary days have the potential to rob my joy. The world could take over if I let it. In ten seconds I could make a list that begins with gas prices, unkind people and politics. God says our joy is to remain , not go up and down with our circumstances.
Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. I Thessalonians 5:16-18
At church we just finished the book of Philippians. It was written by Paul while in prison and it is about joy. What a faithful example Paul is. He did not complain but instead upheld his belief in furthering the gospel. He was more focused on God and others than himself. When we put God and others before our own needs we aren't so focused on our little worries. In Phill. 2:3 the Bible says, Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Verse 14 says, Do all things without murmurings and disputings.
Chapter 4:8, Be careful for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. Worry is wrong thinking and feeling. Worry is a joy robber, worry is sinful. It means that I don't place enough trust in God. God promises that when we live right we have peace and joy. Phill. 4:9, Those things, which ye have both learned and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.
My joy is found in Phill. 3:14, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. My joy is not found in a self-help book, the lottery or this world. My joy is my salvation.

3 comments:

Leah said...

Preach it sister! :-) You are so right. Keeping our eyes on him does change things for the better. I've been praying for you. xoxo

Katrina said...

I love that you pray for us. Things are going very well. I will call you soon. XOXOX

Amy said...

What a great reminder to enjoy the small things and not let the world get us down. Beautiful photo!